St. Mary’s Hospital Healing Garden
The gardens of St. Mary’s, which covers nearly an acre of space and includes an existing Courtyard Garden, blends nature and history. Visitors will encounter colorful flower beds, trees and other plantings. There are water features, relaxing walkways and seating under the pergola and on the patios.
History is also included throughout the garden. An arch entryway that once graced the hospital’s former entrance has been reassembled. It features original clay roof tiles and a mixture of historic and new stone. The reconstructed arch is dedicated to the sisters who first arrived in Madison in 1910 to begin fundraising for the construction of St. Mary’s Hospital.