Mount Horeb Primary Center
Mount Horeb, WI
In need of restoring and preserving their 1910 Primary Center Elementary building, Findorff worked with Plunkett Raysich Architects to renovate approximately 70,000 square feet of Mount Horeb’s existing building and meet the District’s 21st century learning initiatives.
Upon an approved referendum, the District added a 4,500 square-foot entry and administrative wing which featured a secured entrance sequence. Throughout the 64,400 square-foot renovation, new windows, roofing, wall insulation, and masonry tuck pointing were incorporated.
Approximately 80% of the building’s existing interior walls and various floors were removed to allow for new floor plans. The existing classrooms were reconfigured in order to provide improved accessibility which gave students a better environment for learning. Additionally, the library and cafeteria underwent renovations, and a geothermal heating system was added to the building. Revisions to the traffic patterns and site layout were developed to provide a safer environment for students, parents and staff.
Community engagement was a major aspect of this project as well. Findorff incorporated a wide-range of student involvement throughout the project. From the project’s groundbreaking event to writing assignments based on class observations of construction activities, the students were involved in the project from day one.