Milwaukee County Historical Society
Findorff was contracted by the Milwaukee County Historical Society to complete the interior renovation and restoration of the south portion of the first and second floors. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and located on the corner of West Kilbourn Avenue and North Third Street, this historic building was built in 1913. The French Renaissance style structure originally housed the Second Ward Savings Bank – better know at the time as the “Brewers’ Bank” because of the famous local brewers – Phillip Best, Valentine Blatz, and Joseph Schlitz – making up its board members. Most recently, the facility was used in the filming of the Johnny Depp film, “Public Enemies,” which debuted in July of 2009.
Findorff’s project consisted of the removal and replacement of a portion of the second floor steel structure to accommodate library floor loading; upgrades to the HVAC and electrical systems and additional space in the basement for future mechanical systems; reconfiguration of the office, library and gallery spaces; and restoration of ornamental plaster ceilings to the original beauty.