1433 N. Water (Laacke & Joys Redevelopment)
Formerly home to Laacke & Joys Co., this building redevelopment is on the forefront of Milwaukee’s office evolution. The new 1433 N. Water Street building is a 113,830-square-foot complex that is a melding of historic structures and new construction. Two original buildings were on the site, a 1895 furniture factory building and a 1925 four-story annex.
The 1925, 30,240-square-foot annex was salvaged and adjoined to the newly constructed five-story, 108,200 square foot building. Many of the original building’s architectural elements were preserved and incorporated into the redevelopment. Much of the hardwood floors, brick, and old-growth timbers, as well as portions of the brick building were repurposed and rebuilt to maintain the property’s original character.
The two buildings are now one with a contiguous floor plan that blends one space into the next, full of open collaborative spaces. In addition, a new, 390-foot Milwaukee RiverWalk segment and public access-way to the river is now open to the public.